QMS 100 Centennial

Support QMS PLEASE DONATE

Celebrating a Century of Queen Margaret's School
 
 

FIRST 100

QMS_100YearLogo_reverse-web.png

NEXT 100

 
 
banner-photo.jpg

A CENTURY OF PREPARING YOUNG TRAILBLAZERS

On April 4, 1921, Queen Margaret’s School founders, Norah Denny and Dorothy Geoghegan established the foundations of our school. Their desire to imprint the values of self-reliance, loyalty, honesty, respect and service to others on the hearts of all young people they taught, has resonated throughout the century. These values are still hallmarks of a QMS education. Now, as we celebrate the 100th birthday of our beloved School, you have an incredible opportunity - to join us in creating more pathways for heritage students to become links in the QMS chain.

PAST

 
 

100 STORIES

QMS-grey-light.jpg

PRESENT

 

WHAT DOES QMS MEAN TO YOU?

 
QMS-newgrowthgreen.jpg
QMS-newgrowthgreen.jpg

EVENTS

 

WHAT’S HAPPENING?

 
QMS-viridian.jpg

FUTURE

 
 

LIMITLESS POTENTIAL

 
QMS-sapphire.jpg
 
 

QMS TimeLINE

1921
1923
1924
1931
1933
1935-40
1942
1954
1957
1961
1963
1964
1966
1968
1971
1972
1974
1975
1977
1978
1981
1983
1985
1986
1988
1989
1991
1992
1995
1996
2000
2001
2004
2008
2009
2010
2012
2014
2018
2019
2020
2021
Scroll
 
QMS+Class+of+1922.jpg

Founding of QMS

On April 4, 1921, Miss Norah Denny and Miss Dorothy Geoghegan opened Queen Margaret’s School on the original site, Holmesdale House, about a 5 minute walk from the present site of the school.

 
 
00021-edit.jpg

New QMS Campus

After failing to attain a long-term lease on Holmesdale House, Miss Denny & Miss Geoghegan looked for properties to purchase. No local bank would loan them money, so they borrowed $100 from Miss Geoghegan’s father and a further 1,000 British pounds from another investor, they bought 6 acres (the present site of the school). In April 1923, an additional wing was added to the original four bedroom cottage for $4,850 CDN.

 
 
00157.jpg

Tennis Courts

The first QMS tennis courts were constructed with gravel removed from under one of the standing campus school rooms. Mr. Denny, Mr. Hamish Mutter and Miss Geoghegan dug the materials themselves to save foundation construction costs.

 
 
Swimming%2BPool%2BJune%2B1938.jpg

Swimming Pool

The QMS pool was truly a heroic community construction project. Every student and faculty member had to take their turn digging the hole and fundraising came in many forms, from the drama production of “Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves” to the Christmas Bazaar and the help of local, Mr. Frank Mayer. The pool opened on May 1, 1931 and is still in use today.

 
 
QMS+Chapel+June+9+1934.jpg

A Chapel Dedication

Once again, due to hard work, sweat, grit, non-stop fundraising and local partnerships (with people such as Mr. Stone, owner of Hillcrest Lumber Co.), the QMS Founders’ dream of building a chapel was realized.

Truly a west coast structure, it was built of fir logs, the floor and walls are lined with hemlock, the roof was of hand cut cedar shakes, the choir stalls are maple and yellow cedar, the Font is a maple burl with alter rails made of arbutus.

The Chapel was officially Dedicated on June 9, 1934.

 
 
Volunteers+at+Old+Main.jpg

Old Main
Expansion #1

With increasing enrollment, Old Main was expanded a few times. In 1935, the Jubilee Wing was added, then in 1937 the South Wing was completed, a basement was dug and reinforced below the school rooms in 1939 and then in 1940, the dining room was expanded again.

 
 
QMS+Air+Raid+Shelter+1942.jpg

Air Raid Shelter

QMS’ famous air raid shelter was built to ensure the safety of students during a possible Pacific attack during WWII. Once again, the excavation was completed by the community with shovels and hard work. Finished by Richardson and I’Anson in 1942, this unique facility still stretches under Gibbons Road and was thankfully never used for its intended purpose. The bunker is only used for storage today.

 
 
00013-web.jpg

QMS Becomes a NFP

On September 1, 1953, QMS was turned over to a Trust Company to be operated as a non-profit organization. Our founders signed the Trust Deed on April 5, 1954.

 
 
00024.jpg

Old Main
Expansion #2

The B.P. Centennial wing was completed. This area increased the size of the dining room with additional dormitories above.

 
 
Hughes.jpg

St. Hugh’s Hall

Officially opened by Archbishop Sexton on November 8, 1961, St. Hugh’s House (now called Denny Hall) was the final construction project that Miss Denny and Miss Geoghegan took part in.

 
 
St.+Michael%27s+Hall.jpg

St. Michael’s Hall

QMS’s second boarding block was opened in November of 1963 and is now called Geoghegan Hall.

Margaret+Glide+Head+of+School.jpg

Margaret Glide Becomes Head of School

 
 
Original+QMS+Barn.jpg

New Equestrian Barn

Built at the request of Miss Shirley Burr, a new water tight barn, that could accommodate 20 horses was built under then, Headmistress, Miss Margaret Glide. It featured electricity and water for the first time.

 
 
Spurgin Hall.JPG

St. Gabriel’s Classroom Block

In response to a North American push for deeper research studies in science, St. Gabriel’s (now known as Spurgin Hall) was completed in 1966.

 
 
QMS+Indoor+riding+barn+completed+June+1967.jpg

Indoor Riding Arena

The damp west coast weather increased the demand for an indoor riding facility at the School. The beautiful building was built in Margaret’s Meadow and opened to excited riders in 1968.

 
 
Founders' Hall April 30, 2010 small.jpg

Founders’ Hall

To celebrate the School’s Golden Anniversary, the most sophisticated building (at the time) was built. The gymnasium/auditorium was officially opened in May 1971.

 
 
00073.jpg

Central Playing Field

Throughout the summer of 1972 the central play field was leveled, drained and reseeded to resemble other hockey fields. An additional six-horse barn was added to the equestrian facility and was occupied by equines in October 1972.

 
 
HoS+Josselyns.jpg

Peter and Ann Josselyn Become Co-Heads of School

 
 
Margaret+Glide+1976.jpg

Margaret Glide Returns as Head of School

 
 
Margaret+Glide+at+dedication+Nov+1977.jpg

Glide Hall

As the student population grew, the need for a modern dining hall became imminent. So it was that Glide Hall (aka Maggie’s Diner) was opened and dedicated to Headmistress, Margaret Glide on November 5, 1977.

 
 
Jean+Archibald+HoS.jpg

Jean Archibald Becomes Head of School

 
 
Howard+Dixon+Head+of+School.jpg

Howard Dixon Becomes Head of School

March+Rainbow3.jpg

St. Gabriel’s House (boarding complex connector)

In 1981, St. Gabriel’s was built to connect St. Hugh’s and St. Michael’s to complete the boarding complex. This building houses boarding students, the health centre, dance studio, Violet Cafe, atrium and more.

 
 
00420.jpg

Norah Denny Passes Away

Norah Creina Denny (born 1885), co-founder of QMS sadly passed away in 1983 at the age of 99. This photo shows Miss Denny making marmalade.

 
 
Rev+Peter+Hill+Head+of+School.jpg

Rev. Peter Hill Becomes Head of School

 
 
Geoghegan+gates.jpg

The Geoghegan Gates

The Geoghegan Gates were erected to enhance the entrance to QMS and commemorate the 90th birthday of Miss Dorothy R. Geoghegan. Built by stonemason Mr. Rick Floyd, they were unveiled on April 10, 1986.

 
 
OOMA+gathering+on+field+in+front+of+Old+Main+ca.1970s.jpg

Old Main Demolition

Age and wear finally took its toll on Old Main, so it was sadly demolished in 1988. The only remaining portion of the original structure is the Fine Arts Hall which was originally the School gym.

(OOMA gathering on field in front of Old Main ca.1970s)

 
 
Jeanne+MacKenzie+Williams+Head+of+School.jpg

Jeanne MacKenzie Williams Becomes Head of School

 
 
Richard+Parsons+Head+of+School.jpg

Richard Parsons Becomes Head of School

 
 
Dorothy+G+with+umbrella.jpg

Dorothy Geoghegan Passes Away

Dorothy Rachel Geoghegan (born 1896), co-founder of Queen Margaret’s School sadly passed away in 1992 at the age of 96.

 
 
Mrs+Davies.jpg

Mme. Margaret Davies Becomes Head of School

 
 
Equestrian Arena Indoor.JPG

Shirley Burr Equestrian Centre

Shirley Burr’s legendary 30+ years of work at QMS was honoured in 1996 with the School’s equestrian facility being re-named for her.

Stephen+Johnson+Head+of+School.jpg

Dr. Stephen Johnson Becomes Head of School

 
 
Peter+Skipper+Head+of+School.jpg

Peter Skipper Becomes Head of School

 
 
Douglas+Halladay+Head+of+School.jpg

Douglas Halladay Becomes Head of School

 
 
Pat+Rowantree.jpg

Patricia Rowantree Becomes Head of School

 
 
QMS+Primary+Centre.jpg

Primary Centre & Karin Quinn Hall

On January 9, 2008 the Primary Centre was officially opened. It was the first new building on campus since the 1970’s. It features four bright classrooms, a library, staff room and washroom facilities.

During this same year, the second dining facility was opened and named Karin Quinn Hall on May 13.

 
 
Equestrian+Arena+Indoor2.jpg

New Indoor Riding Arena

During the winter of 2008, a devastating snow storm collapsed the roof of the original indoor riding arena. The new Coverall structure was built in its place with features such as natural lighting, better footing, additional indoor stalls and storage. The facility was opened on November 5, 2009.

QMS+Rowantree+Hall.jpg

Rowantree Hall

The drive to enrich the STEM learning of QMS students was behind the construction of the Science & Tech Building. When it was opened in 2009, it was re-named Rowantree Hall in honour of Head of School, Patricia Rowantree.

 
 
Wilma+Jamieson+%28edited%29.jpg

Wilma Jamieson Becomes Head of School

 
 
chapel_2951.jpg

Chapel Restoration

Due to serious wood rot issues, the QMS Chapel required extensive restoration. Completed by Macdonald & Lawrence Timber Framing in the summer of 2012, the project was funded by OOMA and a grant from the Heritage Legacy Fund of British Columbia.

 
 
The+Learning+Centre+at+QMS.jpg

The Learning Centre Phase I

Located on the footprint of the original tennis courts, The Learning Centre (TLC) was constructed as part of a two-part process. Phase I features 6 classrooms, a library, offices, an elevator and bright airy open learning common areas.

 
 
Charlotte+at+Outdoor+Learning+Centre.jpg

Outdoor Learning Classroom

As the School shifted its focus to deepen environmental stewardship and nature-based experiential learning, the need for a communal learning space was addressed through a new gazebo Outdoor Learning Classroom. This space is used for classes such as Nature Lab and art, School spirit activities, French Carnival festivals and more.

 
 
QMS+Founders+Day+Alex+and+Noah.jpg

QMS Opens to All Genders

Following an 8-month collaborative strategic direction engagement process (facilitated by Taiji Brand Management Group), School leadership and the Board of Governors announced that all genders would be welcomed in Senior School. In September 2019, QMS took bold steps to build equality and justice by opening learning to all genders from Preschool-Grade 12.

 
 
David+Robertson+%28horizontal+web%29.jpg

David Robertson Becomes Head of School

IMG_9535.jpg

ECE Centre

The new Early Childhood Education (ECE) Centre opened to students in September 2020. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the grand opening was an intimate affair, but full of colour, song and celebration.

 
 
QMS+TLC+Feb+23%2C+2021.jpg

Centennial Plaza & TLC-Phase II

Centennial Plaza’s gorgeous fountain commenced flowing on March 10, 2021. This new community gathering space included a refresh of the Chapel gardens, increased seating areas and paved connection access to the Primary/ECE Building and Chapel.

Slated for opening in March 2021, Phase II of The Learning Centre is a stunning educational space filled with light and space for class rooms, a library, a two-story music auditorium, innovation & design space, and additional open learning commons for community gatherings.

 
timeline-background-grey.jpg